THE SPRFMO CONVENTION
On 14 November 2009, the 8th International Meeting adopted the "Convention on the Conservation and Management of High Seas Fishery Resources in the South Pacific Ocean", together with a Resolution regarding the holding of a Preparatory Conference to assist the efficient commencement of the work of the Commission of the South Pacific Regional Fisheries Management Organisation (SPRFMO) established by the Convention. The Meeting held a ceremony of confirmation of the English text of the Convention and a Final Act signed by the Chairman of the Consultations (Mr. Bill Mansfield), the Executive Secretary of the Interim Secretariat (Dr. Robin Allen) and the following participants and a Special Observer participant: Australia, Belize, Chile, China, Cook Islands, European Community, France, Kingdom of Denmark in respect of the Faroe Islands, Korea, New Zealand, Peru, Russian Federation, United States of America, and Chinese Taipei Fishing Entity.
The Preparatory Conference held three sessions hosted respectively by New Zealand (19-23 July 2010), Colombia (24-28 January 2011) and Chile (30 January-3 February 2012). The Convention entered into force on 24 August 2012 and the first meeting of the Commission was held in Auckland, New Zealand, from 28 January to 1 February 2013 at which it received the Final Report of the Preparatory Conference.
Activities of SPRFMO Members and its Commission conducted pursuant to the appropriate Articles are as follows:
- Decisions taken by the Commission under Article 16 (Decision Making);
- Objections under Article 17 (Implementation of Commission Decisions);
- Consents under Article 20 (Conservation and Management Measures);
- Annual Reports under Article 29 (Annual Report of the Commission);
- Performance Reviews under Article 30 (Reviews);
- MoUs/Arrangements under Article 31 (Cooperation with other Organisations);
- Status of the Convention under Article 38 (Entry into Force).